Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Laura Mercier




Hello guys!
 
I'm so motivated to be posting more frequently!!

   Today, I'm going to share my correspondence with Laura Mercier. No, not The Laura Mercier! One of her representatives. Although, the opportunity to correspond with Laura would be quite interesting. I have a few things I would enjoy discussing with her.
    Moving right along! If you follow my blog, you must be really familiar with the formate I use to contact  a company. I will however, share it once more (& probably always) just so that everyone who reads the replies I receive can understand them more clearly. So, I apologize if the regurgitation of it gets old, but here at HumanelyChic, I want everyone to understand what they are reading. Going cruelty-free is tough enough, without an added unnecessary confusion!


"To Whomever it May Concern:I am doing research on animal testing, and I need to verify a few key points about your company.
1. Does your company test ingredients or finished products on animals?
2. Do you test ingredients or products on animals through a 3rd party?
3. Do your manufacturers test ingredients or products on animals?
4. Are you owned or affliliated with any companies that test products or ingredients on animals?
5. Do you/your parent company currently or have plans to market and sell your products in the Chinese market, which requires animal testing by law to sell in that country?
6. Do you use palm oil/carnuaba wax in any of your products? If so, is it from an organic and sustainable source?
7. Could you provide a list of all of your current vegan items available for purchase?
Thank you so much for the information."


I received this reply:

Thank you for contacting us with your question. We do not test our products on animals. We do however use animal derived products such as lanolin, beeswax, carmine, and cultured pearls in some of our products. We do use some natural animal derived hairs in some of our brushes. The hairs are obtained as a byproduct.
 For a complete list of ingredients for any of our products, please visit our website and click on the "ingredients" tab on the product's detail page. Thank you for your interest in Laura Mercier Cosmetics. We oppose animal testing and our products are not tested on animals unless required by government regulations. We actively lead initiatives to create alternatives to required animal tests.
CUSTOMER CARE

Toll Free 1.888.MERCIER (1-888-637-2437)

I have found that if a company says "unless required by the government" it usually means at some point their products have been tested on animals.  Also, in the USA the FDA does not require animal testing for cosmetics, so when they say "unless required by law," which law are they referring to? As you might be aware of, China requires animal testing on cosmetic products. They did not clarify if they sell in China, so I emailed them again.




We oppose animal testing and our products are not tested on animals unless required by government regulations. We actively lead initiatives to create alternatives to required animal tests. Currently our products are available in China.
As you can see Laura Mercier is not cruelty-free. At least not 100%. (Note: It's almost impossible to say a company is 100% cruelty-free). However, because they are sold in China they do not meet my personal criteria for determining the cruelty-free status of a company. (For my criteria click here.)

Also,  I found that Laura Mercier is manufactured by Gurwitch Products, which  also sells in China.

I hope you found this information helpful. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Until Next Time,
Camila






5 comments:

  1. Dear Camila, yes I find this information really helpful and many thanks for your effort again. Now I know I won´t buy this products!

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rena,
      Thank you so much for always taking the time to comment on my posts. I truly appreciate it. <3 I'm glad you are no longer going to purchase Laura Mercier products. Hopefully, you find (i'm sure you will) a cruelty-free company with products with the same or better quality). By voting with your money to end animal cruelty you are making a great difference. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post. I've been digging and digging to nail this information down. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rhea. Thank you for your comment & keep digging!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I've been emailing with Laura Mercier and the reps said they do not test on animals and do not sell to china: "We currently are not sold in China, so we do not test any of our products or ingredients on animals. Nor do we hire third party companies to do so for us."

    Thank you for your efforts to protect animals!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Please utilize this comment section for feedback. If you have a question, message me on facebook. It's easier that way to answer your questions directly. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Main-nav-Menu (Do Not Edit Here!)